Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

My Favorite Movies- Holiday Specials, Part One

I have a secret. It's not a dark secret, not scandalous, and it would probably not in any way affect my future as a state senator. It doesn't involve wetting the bed, the natural color of my hair, or my undying adoration for Tom Petty. I love holiday movies, holiday specials, pretty much holiday anything. I hear your groans, the "we saw this from light years away!" protests. And I admit my transparency. I also admit, I friggin love holiday movies and shows. Here are my favorites, and why I love them so.


Christmas With the Kranks
The first time I saw this was just because it happened to be on tv, and I happen to hate channel surfing. It stars Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis as a couple who decide to take off Christmas, just this once, and the chaos that follows their decision. As much as I love Christmas, I can admit to wanting to just skip out on it and avoid the stress and the calories sometimes. If you don't find yourself tearing up a little when Luther gifts the Scheels then you probably have no soul and should probably be forced to watch Sarah MacLachlan ASPCA commercials until you grow one.


Bad Santa
Certainly not the warmest and fuzziest of all Christmas movies, but definitely one of the funniest. Billy Bob Thornton is Willie, a scuzzy, always sauced professional criminal, whose heist of choice is casing malls while playing Santa. He meets the naive, practically abandoned Thurman Merman, who attempts to befriend Willie, believing he is actually Santa. After learning Thurman's mother left, his father is "climbing mountains" (jailed for embezzlement), and his only guardian is his senile grandmother, Willie moves in. Thurman starts to grow on Willie, and he becomes a sort of father figure. Willie meets bartender Sue (Lauren Graham), gets blackmailed by head of mall security (Bernie Mac), and attempts the heist with his partners in crime, Marcus and Lois (Tony Cox and Lauren Tom), only to find out they have other ideas. Cops come, shots are fired, but in the end, we learn family isn't limited to the one you were born into.


Twas the Night Before Christmas
Based loosely (pretty loosely) on the Clement Clarke Moore poem, this is a Rankin-Bass cartoon about a clockmaker who decides to build a clock to entice Santa to town, after a group of punk-ass adolescent mice write a letter to the local paper, claiming Santa doesn't exist- and sign it "all of us." I loved this one as a child, as it and Frosty remind me of decorating the house and tree. And I also have always loved anthropomorphized mice. And how Albert realizes that sometimes, the adult thing is to have faith in magic.


Home Alone
It seems like everyone should know about this one, and that it only seems right that you see it at least three times every December. Seeing it as a kid made me kind of envious of Kevin, either way, really- he was either going to spend Christmas in Paris, or have his whole huge, lovely home all to himself. Not that he got to choose, but if I may be so bold as to overanalyze this movie, I think his options represent a dichotomy we must all feel, at some time- do we continue with the (possibly tired) traditions, or do we forge our own path to holiday happiness? Plus there's beating the baddies, a mysterious, creepy neighbor, and John Candy. And the house. There is something so early-nineties about it that has stayed with me all this time. I have house envy. It makes me want to move to whatever Chicago suburb this house is located in because house.so.purty. The house used in the film is actually in Winnetka, Illinois, and is currently a tourist attraction about "getting your house in the movies."


Trying to post all of my favorites into one entry apparently caused some hiccup with my computer or Blogger, so I have to split this post into 2. So stay tuned for the epic conclusion of "Holiday Specials, Part One."

No comments:

Post a Comment