Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Merry Little Jaunt

So, here's something about me maybe no one else knows- Christmas lights are my boyfriend. In rational, not-so-nutsy terms, that just means "I really, really like Christmas lights." I have long enjoyed sitting alone at night in the living room, staring at the lit tree. Sometimes with cocoa. Sometimes sobbing. The holidays can be a sad time! I was also a fan of sneaking the ornaments out to play with during the rest of the year, but that's another story for....never.

Getting back, I heart lights of the yuletide variety. Growing up, my family would take trips to a town called Natchitoches (Nack-eh-tish), to view their light display. Here's the deal regarding Natchitoches- it's maybe the oldest settlement in La, Steel Magnolias and an episode of Ghost Adventures were filmed there, and they have meat pies. It's kind of like New Orleans north, except smaller, less crowded, and not smelly. As this relates to now, they have a Christmas festival, the main event being the displays of lighted designs on the river. I've never actually been for the big party with fireworks and funnel cake, but have several times gone on the 45ish minute car ride, singing carols with cousins, eating M&Ms, getting gum stuck on my jeans, to ooh and ah over these huge, lit up ornaments. If you have always enjoyed gawking at lit homes during the holiday season, then Natchitoches is for you! Plus, you know, sometimes there's funnel cake.




The carousel reminds me of my grandma. Miss you, gammer!

 For more about Natchitoches and the Christmas Festival, click here. Also, don't question my sanity due to posting about a holiday that was two weeks ago, I won't be celebrating for yet another two weeks. Kinda like in Almost Famous, but with less sticking it to "the man," and more procrastination.

(Also, please do pardon my amateur hour photography. All I have is a cell phone. Surely this coming Christmas, Santa will take pity on me and bring me a Nikon?)

No comments:

Post a Comment