Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Book Beatdown #1: Furniture Building

I'm trying a new kind of feature here today, and calling it "Book Beatdown." It is less about two books beating the snot out of each other, and more about my opinions, and which one I prefer. Of course, this only works with similarly subjected books, so I won't be comparing The Shining to Charlotte's Web. Partly because that would be silly, and partly because I've read neither of those. (but I have seen the movies of each. Several times!)

Cover images from Amazon


For the first ever installment of Book Beatdown, I bring you two books about building your own furniture, a subject becoming very near and dear to my heart (as a fan of DIY and a person who actually owns very, very little furniture.) That said, let's move along to the first book, PlyDesign: 73 Distinctive Projects in Plywood (and other sheet goods) by Philip Schmidt. This is a book that speaks to the designer-maker soul in anyone. If your aesthetic taste runs toward the modern end of the spectrum, you may want to check out this book. The basic idea here is that plywood is good for more than just bike ramps, subfloors, and treehouse walls. You can build many functional, good-looking projects with inexpensive plywood! A few projects call for engineered wood products, and some even allow for substitutions (such as MDF in place of plywood.) Projects on my wish list include the Indoor Doghouse, Twinkle Board, and Avocado. Avocado is labeled as a storage unit, but is such a fun, funky shape, I think it'd make a cool cat play/nap structure. Some projects are a little more design-oriented than others (such as the Symbiosis Chair), and some are pure fun (Drunken Monkey.) Standout projects include a dining table for four that disassembles and folds flat into a 3-foot package, and the hardware-less shelf, which comes together and apart without- duh- hardware. 

Book two is The Handbuilt Home by blogger Ana White. If you have never been to her blog, feel free to go check it out now. The book contains 34 projects, ranging from bunk beds, coffee tables and an entertainment center. There is a section on building basics and some of her "best tips and tricks." The projects are classic, meant to hold up to family life, as well as simple and inexpensive to build. If you prefer Pottery Barn to cb2, you may want to check out this book. My wish list includes the Farmhouse bed, Modern Project table, and Kitchen Island. The most mind-blowing project is the Adult Adirondack chair, which she says cost her five dollars in lumber to build. Five. Dollars. I paid more than that apiece for my plastic ones, that are now cracked. I also love the Lego table for its looks and hidden storage.

So, which book won this bibliographic brawl?


....The Handbuilt Home!!

Why did I prefer this book? First, the overall style of the projects and the book itself are much more my speed. I appreciate clean lines and modern style, but my heart is a rustic ol' gal. I live in an older house (built in the 20s or 30s I believe), which is now in need of dire repairs and updating. Something about Ana White's book makes me believe that even someone like me- a woman who would much rather run away screaming than commit to the massive undertaking that is remodeling this house- could make her own media center. When I first looked through it, I told Brian I wanted one of almost everything in it. I've also added it to my Amazon wish list. 

So, if you are looking for projects that are interesting to build, look straight from Make magazine, and want to make something cool looking (and functional!) from plywood/MDF/etc, then PlyDesign might be for you. If you prefer farmhouse style, want something that will stand up to years of family use, and cost a fraction of what you'd pay at a mass retailer, then The Handbuilt Home may be more your speed. 

**I found both of these at my local library. Reviews are my honest opinion. I really enjoyed these books and wanted to spread the word.**

No comments:

Post a Comment