Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Girly-stash, October 2012

I've found myself somewhat flush with cash this fall, so like any responsible human, I decided to save that shit like it was the last money on Earth give back to the economy by buying myself a few little things. Never feel guilty for treating yourself, people. Two bottles of Chanel's Peridot varnish? It's called stocking up! Buying five NYX jumbo eye crayons each trip to Ulta? What, they can be hard to find! Sometimes, going a little overboard isn't a bad thing. Just make sure you have money for gas, food, and houseplants (or glitter polish. Or whatever may be on your constant list of wants. I'm not bossy, swear ;) ) The following were found at Walgreen's:

 Sally Hansen's Complete  Salon Manicure line is being discontinued/reformulated, so those polishes are on sale pretty much all over. If you can find any, that is. The regular price of these was about $8. I paid $1.89 each for the two I got, shades "Angel Wings" and "Shall We Dance?" They are not my usual crazy glitters, far from it. SWD? is a pinky nude, and angel is opalescent white in the bottle, but shows up more iridescent pink on my nails. I really like them both. If you are a fan of nudes, you may be in luck, as those shades may be the only ones left in your area. Best part? On those two polishes alone, I saved $11.20. Not too shabby.

Still in the  Ms. Hansen section, I decided to give a new nail treatment a try. Hard as Wraps promises acrylic strength in 60 seconds. I am not so sure about this, as it seems acrylics would not fall prey to a steel wool scrub pad in a sink full of dishes, but I also fully admit, I am murder on my nails. I had been using Nail Life (sans formaldehyde) and it used to work well for me, but it tends to thicken about halfway through the bottle, and leaves a bubbled finish on. Never mind the fact that it peels like mad. So if HAW can outlast my obsessive hand washing, and not turn into a bottle of goo in a month, it may be my new go-to. Oh, and that's assuming it makes my nails longer and stronger.

In the travel section, I found a bottle of Clear scalp and hair therapy shampoo. I had never used it before, it smells ok, and was $1.99 for a 3oz bottle. I know these are about $5.99 full sized (about 120z),and when I did the math, the full sized is, per ounce, a better bargain, ringing in at roughly 50 cents/ounce. The travel size is 66 cents/ounce. Don't be like me and always assume a travel size is a bargain! I hate math, but I love saving my cash, so I promise to work on this :) As far as the shampoo itself goes, I like it so far. The smell is a weird, plastic-y, grape-y scent, but it doesn't linger.

Next is a Studio 35 Beauty brand travel touch-up brush set for $2.99. I've been looking for a set of eyeshadow brushes for a wee bit now, and as I could not shell out for the Eco tools set, I decided to get this one. The blush brush is too small for any sort of blushing, but I kinda like it for an all-over eye color brush. The smaller brushes aren't bad, and it also includes a lash/brow groomer, which I have been in desperate need of for some time now. So, while these are not super-awesome-professional quality brushes, they are at least as good as my travel size mark brushes I've been using for several years now. I do think the blush brush could have been better, though.

Lastly, Invigorating Apricot Scrub (store brand) was 99 cents, and seems ok, perhaps a little rougher than its brand-name counterpart of Swiss origin. I can't use it every day, but I do like it. I am an oily, sensitive gal, and if there is no exfoliation on my face, things go awry.

All in all, I'd say this was a good trip. I'm only sorry that I hadn't signed up for the rewards card before  today.

No comments:

Post a Comment