Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Apple Pie Oatmeal

I'm not going to pretend I made up the whole concept of this oatmeal. I did, however, come up with this particular version of it (by throwing stuff into a pot one morning; that's how I like to cook!) The nutritional stats I got by entering the recipe into MyFitnessPal. If you don't like oatmeal because it's always been more like oatmush to you, I suggest trying this. Especially with the steel-cut, because it has a thicker, chewier texture that has a more pleasing mouthfeel for some people. Squishy food. I completely understand and share the aversion. Even better, this makes about 4 servings, so it's a pretty quick breakfast option- just heat and go. (not so much quick the morning you make it, of course. But the mornings after, those are heat 'n go.) Hope you enjoy!

You will need:

  • 1 cup Steel Cut Oats (I used Quaker)
  • 3 small apples (used Red Delicious, but any small 2-2.5" diameter apples will work)
  • 1.5 scoops Vanilla Whey powder (used Body Fortress brand)
  • 8 tsp unpacked brown sugar
  • 1/2 TBSP ground cinnamon (or use apple pie spice mix)
  • 4 cups water
Bring water to boil in medium pot. Meanwhile, core and chop apples into bite-sized pieces (you can leave the skin on if you prefer it; I peeled mine.) When the water has reached boiling, stir in the oats, and return to a boil. Then stir in the whey powder, apple chunks, sugar and cinnamon (and a pinch of salt, if you like) and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, for 20-30 more minutes, stirring often, until it reaches desired texture/consistency. Serves 4. Keeps for one week covered in fridge. Just add a splash of milk, stir and microwave for about a minute on high.

4 servings- 269 calories- 48g carbohydrates- 3g fat- 15g protein- 34mg sodium- 16g sugar

If you don't like brown sugar, feel free to substitute with maple syrup, agave, stevia, whichever sweetener you like! Or you could even go without, and let the apples and oatmeal speak for themselves (so to speak.) I just divide the oatmeal between 4 containers (sorry, I don't have specific measurements, I just put equal spoonfuls into each container until it's all divided equally.)

I love oatmeal, and even though it can be time consuming, it's an inexpensive, satisfying and endlessly customizable breakfast option. If you prefer other fruits to apples, try cooking the oatmeal plain, then stirring in a tablespoon of Polaner All-Fruit to your bowl (I love doing this. And I usually add cinnamon to it, in general.) The Polaner is also good stirred into a cup of plain yogurt.

Try this recipe? Like it? Need some tweaking? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment