Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Hummus is Yummus Chicken

I dedicate this recipe to my bestie, Dinnah. She's a pescatarian, and will likely never even eat this version of the recipe, but if not for her, I may never have had hummus. And I probably wouldn't forever associate the words hummus and yummus. So this is for ewe, Dinnah! <3 I'm trying to come up with fat and salt free options to season my chicken while doing TAGT. I have a few salt free seasonings, a couple of Southwestern ones from Mrs. Dash that frankly, I do not like unless they are added to other things. Like chili. Or brown sugar. I'm weird. I might have them mostly because they were the only options available at the time. My other option is a tiny jar of Sunny Spain from Penzey's, which is their salt free lemon pepper seasoning. It's such a basic option for flavoring a "healthy" meal, but that doesn't have to mean boring. For this recipe, I decided to pair this seasoning with some roasted red pepper hummus- thinking tangy will go well with tangy. As for the fat content- yes, hummus has fat. A serving is 2 tablespoons, which contains 3-4 grams of fat. I figured, I could use a small amount and get the flavor punch I wanted, for minimal fat. And I have to say, .6 grams of fat for an entire piece of chicken is no dealbreaker for me. I'll shut up now. On to the food!

You will need:

  • 1 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 3/4 tsp hummus (I used Fresh Hummus Co. Roasted Red Pepper)
  • 1/2 tsp salt free lemon pepper seasoning (I used Penzey's Sunny Spain)
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp minced, dried onion
Preheat oven to 375 F.

Cover shallow baking dish with tinfoil (or not, if you have nonstick baking dishes.) Place chicken breast in dish. Sprinkle on lemon pepper and onion powder seasonings. Measure hummus, and rub onto surface of chicken. I wound up kind of making a paste-like rub out of the hummus and spices. When you are satisfied with the spread, sprinkle the onion flakes on top. Bake for 40-50 minutes (I actually made two, and baked them for about an hour, with great results.)

This makes a lovely, tangy piece of chicken, and the chicken I have prepared using this method has all come out nice and juicy. For you pescetarians out there, I can tell you Sunny Spain is great on tilapia. Just sprinkle some on the fish, make a topping out of feta and chopped, seeded tomatoes, and bake. Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle (another salt free option, btw) is also good mixed into the fish topping. Hope you try these and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment