Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Lifestyle Changes, via Think and Grow Thin

I am fat. There, I said it.

I am fat for a variety of reasons. Initially, I gained a bunch of weight before I began kindergarten (for reasons unknown; I started the summer average sized, and by the end of that summer, I was a little fatty.) I was involved in sports as a kid, I was not fed the junkiest foods (nor the healthiest, but I can promise you, I grew up before feeding your kids solely from the drive-thru was the way things were done), and for at least half of my childhood, I didn't eat sugar (hypoglycemic, threat of bodily harm from mother.) In sixth grade, I started developing an eating disorder, it really took hold in my first couple of years of high school. By the time I was 18, I was probably 150 pounds overweight, and when I actually ate breakfast, it usually consisted of a honey bun, Doritos, and a liter of Mt. Dew. I really wanted to be a vegetarian in high school, which is ironic, as I mostly ate not meat, in a poor attempt to be healthy, but still mostly ate junk. Fast forward six years after high school, I gained even more (mostly after moving in with my now fiance), and here I am now, extremely overweight...no, obese. I am obese. And it sucks and for the most part, I did it to myself. (that does not mean I think it is at all ok to fat shame, to ridicule, or otherwise be a jackass to anyone who is overweight.)

I will be 33 in a little over 3 months, and I am hoping that I have at least made a noticeable dent in my weight loss journey by then. I purchased a book over a year ago that I think will really help me with this. It is titled Think and Grow Thin, by Charles D'Angelo. The basic premise is that you can change your life in 88 days, 12 weeks, three months. The program entails eating the same meals everyday for 2 week periods- the same breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks. At the start of each new 2 week period, there is usually some change, such as cutting out the dry cereal allowed in weeks 1-2. It doesn't require anything special (beyond protein powder), and the wherewithal to eat the same damn things daily for 3 months. I figure, no big whoop, I tend to do this anyway. I think it's harder to do when you have to plan for it, if that makes sense. However, I plan to make this work for me by getting back into the habit of planning/cooking ahead, so I have no excuses NOT to keep up with it. You are allowed a "refuel meal" on Saturday, which can be anything you want, but within reason. Which is probably what keeps people from losing it totally and binging on Whataburger and Taco Bell and Krispy Kremes within the span of 45 minutes.

My personal tweaks to this plan include keeping up with My Fitness Pal, which I have been using sporadically throughout this year, and supplementing with a carb blocker called Carb Intercept by Natrol (recommended by my counselor for helping control blood sugar spikes), biotin, chia seeds, and if I ever remember to buy them/have the cash, CoQ10 and flax seed oil, or the 3-6-9 I think mix of the good fats. I really liked that one when I took it. I think it's a mix of flax, fish and some other oil, and doesn't make me feel like I'm burping sushi. Always a good thing :) The fun (hahahahahahaha.....oy vey) starts October 27, and hopefully by that day in January, I will have progressed muchly. I will try to update regularly, and maybe even post dinner ideas (not that there is much wiggle room, but it could be a motivating thing for me.) If you're interested in checking out the plan, Think and Grow Thin is available on Amazon. I feel like I should have posted a review of it, but it's not a new(er) book. I will say, Charles D'Angelo lived what he wrote, there are lots of testimonials from his former clients, and it really does cover almost any aspect of weight loss you could imagine. So stay tuned for October 27, when all the fun begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment